Motto;

Sentiam Christi in vita meam

Wednesday 28 December 2011

THE LIFE OF SEMINARIANHOOD VIS-A-VIS THE 2010 APOSTOLIC WORK IN OKIGWE DIOCESE BY REV FR PAUL IKECHUKWU OGUJIOFFOR

     The year of the priest have come and gone. Many things have been written, said and done in relationship to us priests and seminarians from June 2009 – June 2010. You as a seminarian have culminated yours by the just concluded apostolic work and behold you are back to our home, St. Peter’s Seminary Okigwe for this 2010 reunion, for spiritual, moral and academic stock takings.

     The fact is simple and clear that the priestly life is not different from life as a seminarian. The only slight difference is that the power of re-birth, of renewal, of re-creation, of forgiveness, of consecration is bestowed on each person on the ordination day which is yet to come, for a seminarian. Ipso facto, the life of a seminarian is characterized by life With Christ (Sacrifice), For Christ (Obedience) and In Christ (Holiness of life).

     Therefore, reflecting on our life as seminarians within this year which each of us have culminated in our areas and localities of apostolic work just ended, may we sincerely ask ourselves individually and personally, how have I done this apostolic work in relationship with my supposed life as a seminarian?

i)                    With Christ (Sacrifice) – What exactly do I think of the priesthood? What was my initial conception of the priestly life before entering the seminary or in my early years in the seminary? As I receive my formation daily and as years pass by, do I still uphold my initial conception and respect regarding things that I ought not to busy myself with? Am I so preoccupied with the glories of the priesthood forgetting the sacrifices which I ought to carry along with me? Detachment is the key and bedrock of life of sacrifice in the priesthood. How far have I gone in this detachment, regarding the things I desire or unchristian or un-priestly ambitions waiting to be materialized or actualized immediately after ordination?

ii)                  For Christ (Obedience)Obedience without love of God (Agape) is empty; it lacks sacrifice and indeed cannot attain to holiness, therefore this act is hypocrisy and self deceit. A calculated and an apparent obedience to win favour from the Superiors as to destroy the image of a fellow seminarian is a spiritual cum moral retroactive delinquency with a biblical woe that comes later, if not immediate with shameful thoughts and stories. Am I in the habit of obeying for an ulterior motive? Sacrificial obedience is ever sincere and good. It does not listen to gossips or discouraging words, therefore if I am doing something good through obedience I ought to continue, not to be discouraged by anybody, even when the discouragement comes from a formator, superior, auxiliaries, friends, or fellow seminarians.

iii)                In Christ (Holiness of life)Sanctity demands sacrifices and obedience to be profitable to us. Personal asceticism, abstinence or struggle is a sine qua non to fight against the concupiscence of the flesh and of the eyes (cfr.1Jn.2:16). Do I see any woman or girl that comes to me as a sex object, taking advantage of her weak nature or do I accept her offer of virginity because she is excited with whatever I say or do or because I am a seminarian? Can’t I re-direct her emotional affection into Agape by my power of speech, intelligence and handsomeness which God has bestowed on me? Celibacy is of no use, nothing or unprofitable without Purity or Chastity. Therefore, it rests on me to use the opportunity and will power given to me by God to remain chaste and never sin against God (cfr. Sirach 15:11-20). Let us be aware and conscious that sin begets and generates sin always and the litany of sin continues ad infinitum.

     Therefore, beloved brother priests-in-the-making, let each of us sincerely give himself percentage of how involved he is With Christ, For Christ and In Christ this year 2010 as we have just concluded the apostolic work and are in reunion. God loves you.



In union with prayer and priestly life With Christ, For Christ and In Christ,

REV FR PAUL IKECHUKWU OGUJIOFFOR

Summer holidays September 2010 at Parrocchia di San Martino Riccione Diocesi di Rimini – Italia


No comments:

Post a Comment