Motto;

Sentiam Christi in vita meam

Saturday 1 September 2012

MY 13TH PRIESTLY ANNIVERSARY REFLECTION


13 years (Saturday 7th August 1999 @ Holy Cross Parish Uturu Okigwe Diocese Nigeria – Tuesday 7th August 2012 @ Parrocchia San Martino Riccione Diocesi di Rimini Italia) of (My) REV FR PAUL IKECHUKWU OGUJIOFFOR priestly life, Am I a “spiritual magnet” for people toward CHRIST JESUS , the Eternal Priest?

The magnet has the capacity and potentiality of attracting other metals/objects to itself. This is consequent to the presence of the metallic bond of the magnet. Christ said: “Et ego, si exaltatua fuero a terra, omnia traham ad meipsum. - And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone (all people) to myself." Jn.12:32. Christ is God and He draws everyone to Himself. Therefore as a priest, I am an ALTER CHRISTI, when I act, am acting IN PERSONA CHRISTI, which people ought to see in me IPSE CHRISTI, hence my motto is: SENTIAM CHRISTUM IN VITA MEAM. If they see IPSE CHRISTI in my words and actions, Christ will draw them to Himself, because every priest ought to be as the Holy Scripture said: “Omnis namque pontifex ex hominibus adsumptus pro hominibus constituitur in iis quae sunt ad Deum ut offerat dona et sacrificia pro peccatis; qui condolere possit iis qui ignorant et errant quoniam et ipse circumdatus est infirmitate; et propterea debet quemadmodum et pro populo ita etiam pro semetipso offerre pro peccatis. Nec quisquam sumit sibi honorem sed qui vocatur a Deo tamquam Aaron. - For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things [pertaining] to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins: Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way; for that he himself also is compassed with infirmity. And by reason hereof he ought, as for the people, so also for himself, to offer for sins. And no man takes this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as [was] Aaron.” Heb.5:1-4.

Therefore, Paul, you were separated from the people so that you may have a strong magnetic power to draw them spiritually to Christ each moment, because the joy of today is nourished by the great past.

1)      How faithful am I regarding being a spiritual magnet, a mere earthenware jar that draws people to Christ, because I am Ipse Christi?

2)      What is this spiritual magnet that ought to draw people to Christ through me? It is that indelible ontological sacramental character or mark which I received on the day of my priestly ordination on Saturday 7th August 1999 @ Holy Cross Parish Uturu, through the instrumentality of Most Rev Dr Anthony Ekezie ILONU (of Blessed memory) the then Bishop of Okigwe Diocese.

3a) The extract of Priestly Ordination Instruction goes thus:

Vos autem, filii dilectissimi, ad ordinem Presbyterii provehendi, sacro docendi munere in Christo Magistro pro vestra parte fungemini. Verbum Dei omnibus dispensate, quod ipsi cum gaudio acceptistis. In lege Domini meditantes, videte ut quod legeritis credatis, quod credideritis doceatis, quod docueritis imitemini.
And now, my dearly beloved sons, you are to be raised to the order of the Priesthood. For your part, you will be engaged in the sacred duty of teaching, subject to Christ the Teacher. Dispense the Word of God -- which you yourselves have received with joy -- to all men. Meditating upon the law of the Lord, take care that you believe that which you have read; that you teach that which you have believed; and that you imitate that which you have taught.

3b) How many times have I celebrated this mystery unworthily or teach properly what I believe or believe what I preach, knowing that when I preach I ought to reflect what I preach which is a mystery of the Incarnate Word of God?

4) Paul, you are taken from among men and ordained for men in things [pertaining] to God, this brings to limelight the missionary life and spirit of every priest, hence in preaching the Good News, my biological family should not be a block to it, for the Eternal Priest gave us an example as the Scripture said; Dixit autem ei quidem: Ecce mater tua et fraters tui foris stant quaerentes te. At ipse respondens dicenti sibi ait: Quae est mater mea, et qui sunt fraters mei? Et extendens manum in discipulos suos dixit: Ecce mater mea et fraters mei. Quicumque enim fecerit voluntatem Patris mei qui in caelis est, ipse meus frater et soror et mater est. - Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?. And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!. For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. Matt.12:47-50.

5) Therefore, how profound and committed have I being when preaching and teaching to the people knowing full well that those listening to me are fellow Christians as we are all baptized in Christ through the Trinitarian sign?

6) Behold Paul, your thoughts are scandalous and your act contradicts your vocation and you are constant in offending God. Therefore, I ought to be truly Christian as not to be cast out at the end though am a priest, because being a priest is a shortest way to heaven (if I am faithful to my calling) and a shortest way to hell (because as a priest, I ought to know what it entails to be a priest and yet I go on to live in habitual sin, in view of this it is a shortest way to Hades.) Lord in your infinite mercy grant me your forgiveness.

7) Sitting at the Confessional to administer the Sacrament of Reconciliation, penitents come to address me thus: “Lord forgive me I am ashamed to be before you, for I have done...”. This touched me very deeply and I recalled immediately these words:

Munere item sanctificandi in Christo fungemini. Ministerio enim vestro sacrificium spirituale fidelium perficietur, Christi sacrificio coniunctum, quod [una cum iis] per manus vestras super altare incruenter in celebratione mysteriorum offeretur. Agnoscite ergo quod agitis, imitamini quod tractatis, quatenus mortis et resurrectionis Domini mysterium celebrantes, membra vestra a vitiis omnibus mortificare et in novitate vitae ambulare studeatis.
Likewise will you exercise the office of sanctifying in Christ. For through your ministry the spiritual sacrifice of the faithful shall be made perfect, bound to the Sacrifice of Christ -- which [, together with those spiritual sacrifices,] shall be offered through your hands in an unbloody manner upon the altar in the celebration of the Mysteries. Understand therefore what you are about; imitate that which you touch; insofar as you are celebrating the Mystery of the Lord's death and resurrection, may you strive to mortify your limbs of all vices, and to walk in the newness of life.
 
 

8) How humble and meek have I been in the Confessional listening to the people and drawing them to Christ through my counseling and even praying with or for them their penances for those who are actually confused of their acceptance by Christ because of what they might have been thinking about themselves?

9) How far and often do I mortify myself knowing full well that the devil dwells in the tepid spirit, with a seemingly active body that seem to be doing good?

10) Have I being showing off or being proud with the little knowledge I had when disseminating the Word of God to people, Paul be careful less you become deprived of the knowledge of God.

11) How have I being celebrating the Liturgy? Do I celebrate so that people we praise me or give God glory in the celebration?

12) Do people experience the Divine aura when I am offering the Sacrifice of the Mass, knowing full well that it is a Mystery and not just a mere ceremony because of how I handle the Sacred Species, vessels and other objects ?

13) Have I being deceiving people as to get my way through many means or contact with them because am a priest?
On this my 13th priestly anniversary, the 13 Letters of St. Paul speaks to me, Fr Paul on the verse 13s of chapter one or two of the thirteen Letters of St. Paul:

1)      Rom.1:13 Nolo autem vos ignorare, fraters, quia saepe proposui venire ad vos et prohibitus sum usque adhuc, ut aliquem fructum habeam et in vobis, sicut et in ceteris gentibus - Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles. Do I appreciate the gifts of people knowing full well that am nothing, that even in the ignorance as I may think about them, the wisdom of God surpasses every human knowledge.

2)      1Cor.1:13 Divisus est Christus? Nunquid Paulus crucifixus est pro vobis? Aut in nomine Pauli baptizanti estis? - Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? How conscientious have I been in trying to explain the Word of God as not to lead people astray?

3)      2Cor.1:13 Non enim alia scribimus vobis quam quae legistis et cognovistis; spero autem quod usque in finem cognoscetis - For we write none other things unto you, than what ye read or acknowledge; and I trust ye shall acknowledge even to the end. The Word of God and the Teachings of the Church ought to be my basis of catechetical instructions to the faithful, do I make this Truth known to people?

4)      Gal.1:13 Audistis enim conversationem meam aliquando in Iudaismo, quoniam supra modum persequebar ecclesiam Dei et expugnabam illam - For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it. How many times have I wasted the opportunity I had in the priesthood?

5)      Eph.1:13 In quo et vos, cum audissetis verbum veritatis, evangelium salutis vestrae, in quo et credentes signati estis Spiritu promissionis sancto - In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise. Do I make myself available and docile to the Holy Spirit to work through me?

6)      Phil.1:13 Ita ut vincula mea manifesta fierent in Christo in omni praetorio et in ceteris omnibus - So that my bonds in Christ are manifest in all the palace, and in all other [places]. How faithful have I been to Christ the Eternal Priest in public and in the hiding?

7)      Col.1:13 Qui eripuit nos de potestas tenebrarum et transtulitbin regnum Filii dilectionis suae - Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son. The power of God works through us as instrument, how many times have I translated that gospel of God’s kingdom with certainty or do I allow the power of darkness to take lead in my life?

8)      1Thess.2:13 Ideo et nos gratias agimus Del sine intermissione, quoniam, cum accepisssetis a nobis verbum hominum, sed, sicut est vere, verbum Dei, qui operator in vobis qui credidistis - For this cause also we thank God without ceasing, because, when ye received the Word of God which ye heard of us, ye received [it] not [as] the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worked also in you that believe. How have I been thanking God for the gift so sublime to be translated into human word which I had?

9)      2Thess.2:13 In qua et vocavit vos per evangelium nostrum in adquistionem gloriae Domini nostri Iesu Christi - But we are bound to give thanks always to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth. Do I always have a personal and private prayer outside the obligatory prayer of the church?

10)  1Tim.1:13 Qui prius blasphemus fui et persecutor et contumeliosus; sed misericordiam Dei consecutus sum, quia ignorans feci in incredulitateWho was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did [it] ignorantly in unbelief. How do I feel when I engage myself into crucifying Christ again and again by my unworthy thoughts, words and deeds?

11)  2Tim.1:13 Formam habe sanorum verborum, quae a me audisti, in fede et in delectione in Christo Iesu - Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. Can people actually follow me by my words when they x-ray my actions daily?

12)  Titus 1:13 Testimonium hoc verum est. Quam ob causam increpa illos dure, ut sani in fide - This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith. How vehement have I been in dealing with spiritual and moral issues during homilies, in the Confessional and catechetical instructions?

13)  Philemon 1:13 Quem ego volueram mecum detinere, ut pro te mihi ministraret in vinculis evangelii - Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel. How many have you influenced strongly and positively too by your priestly life in general?

APPRECIATION TO THE LORD FOR FAVOURS RECEIVED ON 07/08/2012:

a)      Thank you Lord for the opportunity which You granted me today as I celebrate my 13th priestly anniversary immediately after the Holy Mass, to also administer the Sacrament of Reconciliation to a penitent, sharing in your Divine Mercy ontological character in me as your priest.

b)      The gift of a new Nokia phone from SIGNORA MESSINA MARIE JOSEPH (a Cameroonian lady married to an Italian) who is always present at the Holy Mass every evening. My phone got blocked on Monday 06/08/2012 and she was there when I was showing it to Don Maurizio. God bless her with your infinite choice of favours, Amen.

GEOFFREY EBOH donachrisgeo@gmail.com  6:06 PM (5 hours ago) 06/08/2012
Dear Nwanne-ukwu, Congratulation and happy anniversary. You see how years and time flies. That wonderful. When looks back from the formation years in the seminary and from the day of ordination, we could really say--God you are great and wonderfully strong in my life, you love me more than the rest. I will pray for you and remember you this evening while celebrating. In fact, Nwanne-ukwu, I do at times forget these dates. You remind me of mine  coming-up August 15th-Assumption--birthday and Sept.5th my ordination, please do remember me. Wishing you happy summer stay in Riccione. Nb.my old e-mail was hacked or blocked, so I could not get in there.--9095860027. My regard to all. Fr.shala

Happy Anniversary my Brother!
Paul Odoeme paulodofr@yahoo.com  10:54 AM (3 hours ago) 07/08/2012

Hallo Paul,
It’s been a long time since we read from each other. I remembered you today in a special way, thinking about your Priestly anniversary. May the Grace of Ordination continue to strengthen you and support your efforts to remain faithful to the Calling of our Lord and Master Jesus Christ. Be assured of my continued prayers. Chukwu gbaa gi ume! I guess you are somewhere now in the Mountains helping out in a parish. Thanks so much for the Reflections about our Home. Chukwu gozie gi. Fr. Paul

Antonio Rodríguez de Rivera antrodriv@gmail.com  1:02 PM (59 minutes ago) 07/08/2012
Carissimo Paul,
Un saluto affettuoso! Oggi ho ricordato il tuo 13º anniversario sacerdotale e ho pregato specialmente, durante la celebrazione dell'Eucaristia, per la tua santità sacerdotale e per i frutti del tuo ministero. Ad multos annos! Tutto bene in Nigeria?... Io sto bene, grazie a Dio. Pochi giorni fa sono tornato da Costa d'Avorio e dopo mi sono trasferito al Collegio sacerdotale Tiberino. Mi affido alle tue orazioni.
Un abbraccio fraterno nel Signore Antonio D. Antonio Rodríguez de Rivera Collegio sacerdotale Tiberino Via San Francesco di Sales, 27 00165 Roma Tel. 06-68210999 (int. 206)

omoigwe@yahoo.com 6:33 PM (4 hours ago) 07/08/2012 Ogundipe, Happy Priestly Anniversary! I wish you many more years of blessings! -Omo
Congratulations to your Priestly Anniversary! vin adibe vinclare@yahoo.com 9:23 PM (1 hour ago) 07/08/2012
My dear Fr. Paul,
I am wishing you more steadfast years in the Lord´s vineyard. I hope you had a joyful celebration in thanksgiving to God for His manifolds blessings to you and us all. May His name be ever exalted all through our lives. How are you doing?  My short visit at home was hindered by a lot of forces to per some   commendable visit to our families. But I am very sure that God´s mercy abounds. May we never cease to pray for the better standard of living to our entire people. All the best to you in all your endeavours.
Your Sr Vinclare

Facebook: 4 hours ago 07/08/2012 Ibeh Muna Happy anniversary Fr. May the good Lord make ever fresh your vocation to serve Him, amen.

Facebook Obianujunwa Muoh 7 August via Mobile HURRAY! HAPPY 13th ANIVERSARY OF PRIESTHOOD Ogun lkechuwkwu God is with u all D time

JESSICA MARTINA CHINYERE AMEDU 06/08/2012 SMS 21.15.12 Congratulations! May the Almighty GOD give you more strength to work in His vineyard. Wishing you many more years ahead and thanks a lot for giving me joy all these while.
PETER OKECHUKWU OGUJIOFFOR SMMM 07/08/2012 SMS 07.54.29 May God continue to shower his blessings on you as you labour in His vineyard. Happy anniversary.

Charles Nwankwo nwankwo.charles@yahoo.com 12:28 AM (8 hours ago) 08/08/2012 Fr, Congratulation as you turn 13 in the Lords vine yard. How time fly. I enjoy your write up. Have you written any book/s  ? Ad Moltus .Annos.
uche okoronkwo athanatos@fastermail.com Aug 10 Ogun, it was like yesterday, but the truth is that you are 13 years sharing in the Love, Passion and Joy of our Lord Jesus Christ. The number 13 makes your celebration all the more noteworthy - do something in honour of Our Lady this year. Make a pilgrimage to Lourdes, Fatima or Medjugorje...I pray that SHE guides you and takes care of all your worries. May the Blessed Virgin Mary help you do the will of her Son Jesus Christ and grant you the spiritual and academic success you aspire. Congratulations brother Paul.

Uwakwe Chibuike Happy Priestly Anniversary Fr Paul Ogujioffor Anniversaries are special opportunities for reflection and retrospection. As you celebrate your thirteenth year as a priest, I humbly invite you to join me and reflect on these letters:

·         T- Take time to celebrate the Eucharist and never be in a hurry.

·         H- Hold on to Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament always.

·         I- Insist always on what is right as you have always done.

·         R- Remember the good you are known for and preserve it.

·         T- Thanksgiving should be your watchword.

·         E- Envelop yourself in the maternity of Our Lady.

·         E- Embrace the evangelical counsels with joy.

·         N- Never fail to apologize when you hurt others.

·         T- Try to be the best you can.

·          H- Hold on to the good you have been these thirteen years and leave the bad.

·         Congratulations, we are witnesses to these thirteen years of active work in God's vineyard and you have inspired many of us by your prayer life, humility, docility and simplicity. You are always ready to serve. May God strengthen you more to do more and to be more Christlike. Uwakwe Chibuike August 2012Apostolic Worker, Queen of Peace Parish Umuariam Obowo, Okigwe Diocese - Nigeria.

2 comments:

  1. An inspiring write up and a thought provoking reflection. This seems to be the best of your anniversary reflections.The questions you raised are ad rem for every priest seeking to be in line with the True Spirit of the priesthood of Christ. It was reflective, reformative and transformative. The 13 extracts from the Pauline Corpus added gave more flavour and meaning to the reflections. Kudos and congrats. Keep inspiring others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete